Property owners have a right to keep their premises safe and free of potential hazards for all visitors. However, while younger visitors might be able to steer clear of a hazard to avoid a slip and fall accident, older people and those with disabilities might not. Even if a victim’s age contributed to their accident and the severity of their injuries, that doesn’t mean a property owner is not liable for damages.
Why Older People Are More Likely to Fall
As we age, we lose some of the strength and acuity of youth. These deficits can contribute to an increased likelihood of a fall and serious injuries. Normal effects of aging that can make a fall more likely include the following:
- Physical weakness. The loss of muscle tone many people experience as they get older makes it more difficult to maintain balance when they slip or trip on an obstacle.
- Poor vision. Eyesight deteriorates for many people as they age, and they might not be able to see a warning sign or tripping hazard that would be avoided by a younger person.
- Hearing loss. Warnings of hazardous conditions might be missed by someone who can’t hear as well as they used to.
- Diminished flexibility. Elderly people are less likely to be able to recover from a slip and avoid a fall to the ground due to decreased flexibility.
- Brittle bones. When an older person does fall, they are more likely to suffer a fracture or other serious injury due to a loss of bone mass.
Spilled liquids, icy sidewalks, broken steps, loose railings, unsecured cords and wires, torn carpets, and bumpy floors are dangerous hazards for anyone, but they are especially treacherous for the elderly.
Premises Liability Attorneys Dedicated to Protecting Our Senior Citizens
If you are over 65 and suffered a slip and fall accident caused by a property owner’s negligence, you can count on the experienced premises liability team at Mahaney & Pappas to hold the appropriate parties responsible. Whether you fell in a restaurant, movie theater, shopping mall, or grocery store, we will help you get the compensation you need to recover from your devastating injuries. Fill out our contact form to get in touch with us today.