Yes. In Massachusetts, the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Benefits from your auto insurance will cover a certain amount of lost wages. This means that if you are injured in a car accident and your injuries prevent you from returning to work and you incur lost wages, your auto insurance company should pay you some of your lost wages.

Keep in mind, however, that your PIP benefits will only cover 75% of your lost wages. Also, PIP benefits are available up to $8,000. If the $8,000 is used up to cover the costs and expenses of medical treatment, then there will not be any PIP benefits available to cover your lost wages.

Therefore, anyone injured in a car accident who is unable to return to work due to their injuries should consult with an experienced Massachusetts personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney can strategically handle your accident case to get you lost wages from your auto insurance before the PIP benefits are exhausted.

While lost wages or lost earnings are recoverable from the at-fault driver who caused the accident and your injuries, you may not recover the compensation you deserve until much later, near the end of your treatment and case. That usually doesn’t help accident victims who are out of work from their injuries right after a car crash. Your bills and expenses at home will not stop because you were hurt in a car accident. Obtaining lost wages from your PIP benefits after a car crash can get you some money to help with your bills soon after an accident and while you are out of work.

Charles S. Pappas
Connect with me
Massachusetts injury lawyer & workers' compensation attorney serving accident victims in Webster & Framingham.