If the negligent driver that caused your injuries had insurance, but not enough to fully compensate you for your injuries, you can file a claim for further compensation against your own insurance company, provided you have “underinsured coverage”.  This portion of your auto insurance policy is optional (unlike uninsured coverage, which is mandatory).  So, you should check with your insurance agent to make sure you have enough underinsured coverage.  That way, if you are ever seriously injured by someone who has the minimum insurance coverage required by law (currently $20,000.00 per person/$40,000.00 per accident), you will have enough underinsured coverage to fully compensate you for your injuries.  

Charles S. Pappas
Connect with me
Massachusetts injury lawyer & workers' compensation attorney serving accident victims in Webster & Framingham.