Yes.  An employer must approve a Lump Sum Settlement, with some limited exceptions. If the injured worker and the workers’ compensation insurer reach an agreement to resolve the claim by way of a lump sum settlement, then the proposed settlement will be presented for approval to a judge of the Department of Industrial Accidents at a Lump Sum Conference. Aside from the other required documents to be presented at the Conference, the workers’ compensation insurance company or their attorney will file the Consent of Employer to Lump Sum Settlement, which is a designated form known as Form 116A. 

Have You Been Hurt in a Work Place Accident in Massachusetts?

If you have been injured in a work related accident in Massachusetts and have questions about your rights, please call us at (508) 879-3500 or contact us online to set up a time to speak with our legal team so we can evaluate your case and answer your questions. This meeting is free and might be the best decision you make.

Charles S. Pappas
Connect with me
Massachusetts injury lawyer & workers' compensation attorney serving accident victims in Webster & Framingham.